Thursday, September 6, 2012

Labor Day with my favorite troops

This weekend was so very special.  I guess I said that the last post too, didn't I?  I suppose that means I'm lucky to make such special memories with the people I love as often as I do. 

 After Saturday entertaining friends for the ballgame at Jeff's (War Eagle anyway!), Jeff and I met up with mom, dad, Mimi, and PawPaw at the National Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning.  If you haven't been, it's brand new, and amazing!  If you have a family member who was in the military, it's definitely worth the road trip. 

I say I spent Labor Day with my favorite troops and I did.  Did you know Jeff was in the Navy?  He was a submariner, and a Veteran of the Gulf War.  My dad served in the Army National Guard for 25 years, and retired a Major when I was in high school.

But PawPaw was the star of the show on Monday.  Dad had concocted a plan months ago, and brought them to the museum this weekend to surprise them with it!
 The National Infantry Museum has a Walk of Honor, and you can have a paver dedicated to your loved one here, for it to forever to laid in their honor.
Not until we pulled PawPaw away from exhibits and sat him in a front row seat, did Mimi grab a program and say "Honey, your name's in here!"  The light came, and a sweet grin crossed his face.  Over 100 pavers were dedicated, and the speaker chose to highlight a few of the stories he'd seen of families who'd written of the servicemen the pavers were dedicated to.  Of those 3 stories of the 100 dedicated, my grandfather's story was told to the crowd.  Of how Albert Nicometo was the son of Italian immigrants, who grew up in New York.  Of how, like his big brothers, he wanted to join the military to serve the country who saved his family.  Of how this man fought in the Korean War, and came home and married his wife of 60 years.  Of how he's a husband, a father, a grandfather, a patriot, a soldier, a friend, and an American. 
 This picture makes me smile so.  PawPaw is so proud, he would barely look at my camera, for looking at his name in the marble, amoungst all the others who have served our country. 

Mimi....on the other hand....had a hard time getting over to the grass because she refused to step on the names!  She said it seemed like a grave and it creeped her out!  I reminded her PawPaw was living and breathing right beside her, but to no avail, so she wobbled right over it!
 Touching his name....
It was another amazing memory for the records books, friends.  A very special day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment