Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Weekends on the Farm

They certainly never get dull.  Like this weekend Jeff's daddy called him down to the barn to help "de-horn" a young bull.  That one I stayed a home for.  Yuck, yuck, yuck.

We also never go hungry.  We love homemade cinnamon rolls (thanks to Pioneer Woman).
 And of course there's the moment when you realize the young chicken you've been raising, eagerly anticipating gathering her fresh warm eggs to cook with....CROWS.  I have since learned you can't tell little boy chicks from girl chicks, and have to wait til they're grown.  Well this clucker went down to the big barn, and we've got us a fresh batch of egg-laying hens now.  That don't crow.
 As usual, our afternoons consist of Kubota riding around the farm, and visits with all of God's creatures.  This mama cow will let you get close enough to pet her.  In fact, most the cows are so used to the trucks they'll practically chase you expecting hay or feed.  The spoiled heifer.

 If we're lucky, and Saturday we were, the neighbors will be ropin' and ridin'....is that what it's called?  The whole family has beautiful horses they take to rodeos and rope steer with.  It's fun to do, and even more fun to watch!  I wanted to break out some ol' school Garth Brooks....It's the broncs and the blood, the steer and the mud, it's that damned ol' rodeooooo!
 Anyway....I digress.  Back on our side of the fence, the Robinson's have a few horses too.  One of my favorites belong to little cousin, Rani, who's five, and won ribbons of her own.  Her little pony's name is Wee.  You know, like ya mama, or ya grandmama use to say..."Aw, wee...."   He's pint sized, just like Rani, and both are so precious.
 And CLEARLY the most patient pony on the planet to put up with Jeffrey and his shananigans.
 We cruised fields until we ran across my favorite jackass.  Well, he was until this weekend.  We never leave home without checking the bread stash for expiration dates (and believe me, a dad and two kids NEVER know when to throw out bread).  So I grabbed the stale bread that was inevitably there, and lovingly fed this hunk of good-for-nothing donkey, until someone got a little overzealous and chomped down on my FINGER!  And I'm talking drew blood!  I try to love this hairy, stinky, waking-me-up-at-all-hours-hee-hawing-for-no-good-reason face....but at this moment we're on a break.
 This weekend I was off-duty in the kitchen.  I'm not sure when that was established or why it happened, but I relished every moment.  Jeff cooked homemade pizza one night (well, he poured Ragu on Publix pizza dough, chopped up ham, and opened a can of pineapples) but it was FABULOUS, babe!  And the other he made wings, which I love.  Seriously.  I eat wings like a man.  And Jeff makes some wings to rival any restaurant, and it's quite the process. 
 Sunday was a work day.  We put on our Beverly Hillbillies hats, and loaded up the truck, and headed down to the hunting property.  I prayed I didn't see anyone I knew.  Seriously.  Jeff asked that I not take any pictures for fear someone might copy us.....right.....  I was afraid we might be pulled over.

We drove 30 mph and finally got there.  Once at the hunting land (deer season is right around the corner in Georgia) we unloaded the Kubota, then the deer stand, then the feeders, then the corn, then the tools....Lord, what am I forgetting?  Though I think I mostly watched, I really did try and help, and we managed to get the stands up the trees and strapped in, and all ready for Jeffrey and his mini-me Kyle to bring home supper very soon!
   And now since hunting over corn is legal in Georgia, Jeff even went so far as to build them troughs to eat from (to keep the wild hogs out).  This is strange to me, it's not so much like "hunting" anymore, but "waiting."  Trick or treat, Bambi!
 And finally, last night we (correction: I did the work, Jeff critiqued) carved our pumpkin!  Looks pretty scary, right???!!!
 Jeff picked my spiders apart, and informed me it was more like a "beachy pumpkin," because they looked like crabs....but soon as the lights went off, I saw him cringe with delight!
Happy Fall, Yall!  We are loving this weather.  And we're gearing up for a big weekend coming up.  We've been planning and planning for An Evening of Wishes for months now, and it's finally here!  I can't wait to tell you all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment